Wednesday 24 July 2013

At the cold water tap, a thought....

So I was out by the cold water tap in the courtyard, sloshing about with the hose, scrubbing away at the pig's head, getting all the bits of singed hair washed off. 
And I had a thought. Crikey, I never thought I would be doing this in my life.

I looked at the head, now devoid of its body,and I felt a reverence for this head, for this task, for this once upon a time pig. And I had a moment of wonder, at how surprising life can be if one does but take a chance when the opportunity to change course comes along. Not to make a plan which is fixed, but to make a plan which then can be adapted to changing circumstances. With the hens, chicks, dogs, and geese all interested in what I was doing with a body-less head, I reflected about my life as it was, and how it is now. 

The pigs head is now cooked. Will be investigating the contents of the pot that it is in tomorrow. Fishing about for 'good' bits of meat is a job which I hope Lester will do, after which I shall concoct something or other and put into canning jars to save for future use. 

This day has been a busy one, but only in patches.  The heat is bringing us to our knees,
or rather, into the need for frequent sleeps, so jobs are being crammed into the dawn and dusk hours, when it is cooler. In between we try and stay awake, but it is difficult because every time we sit down we nod off.

Ah well, c'est la vie!

6 comments:

Ohiofarmgirl said...

yep. i've had lots of "i cant believe this is my life now" moments! ha! doesnt it kind of make you laugh? look at all the wonderful things you are learning. great work!

Vera said...

Ohiofarmgirl, you are an inspiration!

Horst in Edmonton said...

Well at least it makes life interesting.

Denise said...

Andy has got work experience at an artisan bakery lined up for next month. Who knows where that might lead?! He is hoping he doesn't melt into a puddle on the floor!

Rhodesia said...

It is amazing how life can change but your life is quite a dramatic Difference. You do though manage so well and I am very impressed with what you have achieved. I agree the weather has been a little on the hot side!! Have a good weekend Diane

Vera said...

Horst, it sure does!

Denise, hope he enjoys the experience!

Diane, hope you have a good weekend too!