Tuesday 10 December 2013

On being a GoFor


So while some of us were messing about digging holes in the veg plot, others of the Labartere Team were doing other things.....



So what, you may ask, was happening here! 

Well I was sitting doing my knitting, which is my usual occupation when being required to act as the one and only GoFor for Hubs when he is doing DIY renovation things, which he is now becoming confident about doing. At one time he could hardly aim a hammer in the appropriate direction, but he is now coming along very well with doing manly DIY things, although has not quite managed to do anything about the Rayburn cooking range which is still parked up in the hallway, but he is frequently researching what he has to do to get it installed, and I remain optimistic that we will be roasty and toasty next winter.

Project for the day:





....the Middle Barn, getting the new goat pens finished. 






So why was I doing knitting when DIY work was going on? Because I find the role of a GoFor very tiring, in that I am required to stand around, looking interested, feeling bored, trying not to get frustrated about the time that is being wasted waiting for Hubs to be requiring of my help when I have a long list of other things I need to be doing. Therefore, to me, it is sensible to utilise the 'hanging around not doing anything' time by sitting nearby to rest and knit until it is necessary to spring into action and help my man. 

The cheese was not made, the cream remains in its bowl so no butter been made, the kitchen looks like a bomb has hit it, lunch was yesterday's leftovers, but I did manage to get a few more rows of Lester's jumper knitted, and it was nice to think that the goats will be shifted over into their new pens soon, so that Bonny and Lissie, our two cows, can have a bigger space to rest in. All in all, a productive day. 

Hope you had a productive day as well......
Vx

9 comments:

John Going Gently said...

There is so much to do Vera......
It would get me down...
Your resilience is remarkable x

Rhodesia said...

You never stop no matter what! I have to say I hate knitting but I agree there is nothing worse than just hanging around waiting for a 'go for'. Maybe I would do some crochet which I enjoy :-) Have good week Diane

rusty duck said...

Oh so very true Vera!
I was going to ask if you were cold sitting in the barn, but then you are in the South of France and I am in England..
I too have developed coping strategies for the role of GoFor.
While assisting with replacing a window in the potting shed today I got the link stakes put away, the greenhouse watering done and even some seeds planted. Result!

Ohiofarmgirl said...

that is incredible work on the new space! great job! i can't knit... i'd see the needles as weapons and it would go badly for someone. altho i think learning how to make socks would be great. :-)

Vera said...

John, you are as busy as I am, if not busier!

Diane,I prefer crochet too, but a crocheted jumper for Lester would make him look too girly!

Jessica, oh well done you for learning to utilise GoFor time. And it was very cold in the barn!

OhioFarmGirl, knitted socks are great, and easy to darn after the holes start appearing from the rubbing of heels in wellingtons!

Niall & Antoinette said...

I''m seriously impressed by how much you do! :-)
As for knitting ---- pass!! I'm with Ohiofarmgirl.

Vera said...

Niall & Antoinette, well I have to do something with my hands otherwise all I do is is chew my fingers with boredom!

DUTA said...

You're a good wife - knitting a jumper for your man, and waiting to help him when needed.

Vera said...

Duta, Hi! That was a very sweet comment you made, and thank you for making it.