Thursday 14 August 2014

In waiting......

Has Lissie had her calf yet? So far, no. But soon, yes. 



And I have purchased a shiny new pot for making cheese, the other one having suffered from my jam and chutney making activities and now has a burnt bottom. And I am going to be ordering all the cheese starters soon, and we need to sort out where we will keep the cheeses when they are maturing. This means the purchase of a tall larder fridge, hopefully a second hand one, although will probably have to be a new one. But I am not going to make cheese if I don't have anywhere to store it, and apparently there is a gadget you can buy which will convert the fridge into the right temperature to keep cheese in. Looking forward to seeing if I can get some decent cheese made this time. It was very hit or miss last time we were milking Lissie, mostly because of not having the right storage facilities. Some people buy wine coolers but they are expensive here, and are quite small anyway.
We might be milking two cows eventually. Which means lots of cheese to make. If it turns out alright we might sell some. Or not. I have a lot of practicing to do before we can do that. 

.....meanwhile she is expanding daily...



......meanwhile Bonny is heading towards being in calf as well, but only once we have registered her, and then we can get the AI man in to artificially inseminate her...


June 2014


August 2014

....she has grown a lot over the last two months, and needs to be a mum.

.....meanwhile, the ewes remain ramless, but hopefully we shall be buying a ram in about two weeks time. 


....it was nice not having to cope with having a lambing season this year, and it was nice that the girls had a rest. 

....meanwhile the day is getting on, and I need to get out and about. Lester hopes to start getting the chappe (scree I think) on to the kitchen floor. He is not looking forward to doing this job. We have spoken about getting someone in to help him but we are on a budget so we are going to have a go ourselves. I am supposed to be mixing the concrete and wheel barrowing it in to him. Since I can make cakes, I think I should be able to do it. After all, a cement mixer is only a very large food processor! 

Hope you have a nice day.....
Vx

6 comments:

ally said...

I have posted a comment on your psychic lady blog. Love your blogs and admire your energies and enthusiasm.

northsider said...

Pay some one to labour and for mixing and barrowing theconcrete, Vera. I am sure there is somebody local who would be glad of a few beer tokens. Concrete work is physically very demanding. You can still get involved floating and leveling the concrete. You can even buy self leveling concrete in bags - it's amazing.

rusty duck said...

Shovelling stuff into the cement mixer is hard work Vera. Just think about the lovely new kitchen that awaits.. have fun!

John Going Gently said...

A concrete mixer cake?
Idea for the next flower show perhaps?

Niall & Antoinette said...

Hope the calving, when it happens is simple and straightforward.

Our tomatoes are fine [beginner's luck] but a number of our friends have suffered tomato blight and their harvest has suffered accordingly.

Vera said...

Ally, thanks, and your comment did arrive on the other blog. And hope you enjoy France as much as we do.

Northsider Dave, Lester won't let me float and level, but all I do is put the sand and cement into the mixer, then he does the rest. Slow work, but we are novices!

Jessica, I shall keep that kitchen in mind!

John, I can do a concrete mixer cake!

Niall and Antoinette, still no calf, and glad you are getting a tomato harvest. Our first one a couple of years ago was a good one, which gave us the encouragement to keep going!